Sunday 25 November 2012

Travel Album Finished!

Not lost, just distracted! It feels like an eternity since I have been active here.  Life is full of challenges and there are so many things to distract me from being relaxed and creative ... but here I am, wanting to show off a recent album I completed.

I was blessed to be able to travel to the UK in June for a family visit and after three weeks of travelling, seeing, doing, tasting, experiencing I had soooo many photos to sort through!

I was determined to make sure that my trip and its details were not lost so I made a concerted effort to put together 3 mini albums to display my experience. And after 4 months, here they are.


I'll explain my procedure with photos.  So here goes ...
I decided to use A5 sized paper as it fits 2 photos, placed horizontally on the page, with some trimming.  I started with 180+ gsm paper then added patterned paper when I felt it was needed.
I purchased large hinge rings from eBay and just kept adding the pages as they were being made. I made a template for the holes so that each page was relatively even.
I found some great paper from Kaisercraft called Check In and they also had stickers, labels and mini, and tiny, alphas that fitted the theme perfectly.
I used any ephemera I kept - boarding passes, baggage tickets etc.


I kept a diary of each day (thanks to special friend, Roby, who gave me a journal before I left) and then re-typed the entries to fit on the pages. I used a textured 80gsm paper which I had purchased from Officeworks for the journalling.

 When I wanted to add some labels or short text, I used the min alphas from Kaisercraft.  Or I hand wrote the text on a strip of card.

I started to write some information about some of the places I visited, that i got from the internet, but that was taking too long so used other information instead.

I punched holes in the photos and am happy to say they don't detract from any of the views.


I cut out some the photos around the main focus such as the telephone box below. I also hand cropped when necessary.


I use map sections from maps I had purchased or found in flyers and brochures.


I added entry tickets and information brochures.



Old postcards added to the 'story' as I retold my experiences.  I added the wedding invites and place cards for a wedding I attended whilst in the UK. This was such a novel place card as we had to send a photo of ourselves as babies and these were then used to guide us to our seats!


I added store receipts. I thought it would be interesting to see the prices, especially in 10 years time!


Brochures and postcards from places I visited.


Menus and brochures from wonderful restaurants.


And I added a photo of my arrival back home and wrote about how I felt when I was landing.


 Each album is around 50cm in thickness and although they are quite heavy they are easy to handle.

I also punched large circles that I used as tabs for each day's entry. I wrote the date on it and stuck them to alphabetical index cards I had.  I found the tabs on them assisted me to know where to stick my tabs!


When the main parts were finished I went back and added other embellishments that complimented the 'stories' and also added a bit of creativity.

So, I have completed 24 days of my trip in 3 albums, with over 300 photos and lots of memorabilia.  I hope you have got some ideas from these photos, as I did from others before I started.

Until next time ...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya, Thanks for sharing this post ^.^ I saw that you didnt have any comments and thought that you should know how great these travel albums of yours really are! You have inspired me to make one of my own. Thank you! :D